Biological Technician (Plants) Intern
This internship will provide exposure to the Forest Service, and the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills in the the production of tree seedlings and native grasses in a containerized greenhouse operation.
Major duties will include, but not limited to:
- Assist in the maintenance and operations of a controlled environment greenhouse, including adjustment of environmental controls, nutrient injectors, and pesticide/fungicide application (may require Pesticide Applicator License).
- Observe seedling condition, soil condition, disease or insect activity and facilitates the necessary corrective measure to ensure quality seedlings and report situations to supervisor.
- Assists in determining optional locations of seedlots, utilization of greenhouse space, and all aspects of sowing seed in containers.
- Perform seedling inventories of container stock following specification guidelines.
- Assist with grading and shipment of container stock.
- Ensure all greenhouse activities are properly documented.
- Assist in preventative equipment and facility maintenance including proper greenhouse sanitation procedures.
- Assist with operation and maintenance of irrigation equipment.
- Assist with all aspects of the nursery’s Grafting Program, including potting of grafting stock, grafting, greenhouse culture, and outplanting.
- May also assist with seed cleaning, testing, and inventory in nursery Seed Bank.
- May also assist with bareroot operations in fields.
Location: Ottawa National Forest (Watersmeet, MI)*
Duration: 6 months
*Site housing available
Prior to starting this position, a government security background clearance will be required.