Greening Youth Foundation (GYF) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to nurture environmental stewardship among diverse youth and young adults, and expose them to conservation careers.
GYF seeks college students interested in being a C.H.I.P. (Collegiate and Highschool Internship Program), Intern for the 2017-2018 academic school year.
GYF coordinates and implements practical environmental and wellness programming to educate students from underserved and underrepresented communities and recreational centers in the metro Atlanta area. The goal of our environmental education and wellness after school programming is to help students understand the concepts surrounding environmental principles such as, the 3 R’s, reducing the environmental footprint of communities, sustainability, healthy eating, agriculture and the environment, and stimulating wellness and awareness of a healthy lifestyle.
Position Overview and Tasks:
Selected C.H.I.P.s will implement Environmental Education and Wellness programming at various recreation centers around the metro Atlanta area in an after-school setting. Interns will be required to implement programming at a minimum of 2 sites, and complete a total of 18 minimum site visits throughout the Fall semester.
The Environmental Education and Wellness programming consists of activities designed to engage students and teach them about the importance of protecting our environment. Fusing technology, music, sports, literature and old-fashioned fun, the Environmental Education and Wellness curriculum not only emphasizes the importance of respecting and protecting the environment, but also engages students as active participants in overall wellness choices and activities. This curriculum stresses the importance of recycling, water conservation, energy conservation, nutrition and exercise and reconnects children to the outdoors, deputizing them as "environmental detectives and giving them the mission to solve some of nature’s great mysteries while shaping social behaviors and practices.
- Interested students must have access to transportation, MARTA or personal vehicle, to get to designated sites around the metro Atlanta area.
- Interested students must love to work with children and must be comfortable working with pre-k to middle school students.
- Interested students must be working towards a degree in Education, Environmental studies, Sustainability, Early Childhood Development, or related majors.
- Selected students will receive semester stipends based on amount of sites visited through the fall semester.
- Selected students will also receive a professional recommendation and certificate of Internship program completion from the Greening Youth Foundation.
- Selected students will receive certification in the Greening Youth Foundation CLEAN Manual, Project WET, and opportunities to receive certification in Project PLT, and Project Learning Tree.
If interested, please send a resume to the attention of: email@example.com