Data Scientist Intern
Major duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying commonalities, associations, and interactions of document topics and themes (e.g., fine-filter indicators such Canadian lynx or black-footed ferrets, and coarse filter-indicators such as longleaf pine ecosystems or old growth).
- Automating (or semi-automating) analysis of internal forest management plans, including sentiment analysis.
- Associating documents with their geospatial characteristics, including location, extent, and scale of relevance.
- A master's degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience) in computer science (or related field), with an emphasis on NLP
- Must have experience working with large amounts of unstructured data, and across various databases
- Familiarity with developing and implementing text classification systems, using Latent Dirichlet Allocation (LDA), Latent Semantic Analysis (LSA), User-Defined Dictionaries (UDD), etc., performing sentiment analysis, part-of-speech tagging methods
- Must be comfortable working with Python
INTERN STIPEND: $7,151 per month for 9 months
INTERNSHIP DURATION / HOURS PER WEEK: 9 Months
INTERNSHIP TRAVEL: There will be occasional domestic travel to attend or conduct meetings, trainings, or site visits.
BENEFITS: The participant is eligible for a two-year noncompetitive hiring authority upon the completion of the program, and will receive health insurance for the duration of the position (up to 9 months).
Location: Duty station is negotiable.