Forestry Tech (TSI)
Site Location: George Washington and Jefferson National Forests (Blacksburg, VA)
This 24-week program is a rigorous work and learning experience that provides exposure to the Forest Service, development and training opportunities, and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on generations to come. Participants will gain experience in timber stand improvement, reforestation, and tree improvement. Specific duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the preparation of project work plans for timber stand improvement and reforestation activities.
- Conduct reforestation and stocking surveys of recently planted tracts. Make recommendations for areas requiring remedial action.
- Determine the need for site preparation, plantation conditions, and the survival rate of seedlings.
- Perform surveys to determine stand conditions and the need for precommercial thinning and/or treatment.
- Traverse project areas, determines acreage, and drafts maps of those areas.
- Conduct on-site observation of contractor or agency crews engaged in timber stand improvement or reforestation efforts.
- Inspect silvicultural contract work (e.g., genetic tree improvement, planting, thinning, seeding, site preparation) for compliance with contract.
- Correct minor problems in direct contact with Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR). May act as COR on various silvicultural contracts.
Participants will gain:
- A two-year hiring authority allowing interns to apply to internal Forest Service positions.
- Mentorship from a master performer throughout the program in an apprentice-style setting that trains them specifically for a pre-identified permanent position in the Southern Region.
- An invitation to a Southern Region job fair to apply for full-time positions. The timing of the job fair will coincide with the ending of the internship
- Have an interest in natural resources, public service and connecting people to their public lands.
- Be willing to move to locations in the Southeast. For this internship, a permanent position for which the intern is highly encouraged to apply is located in Tuskegee, AL.
- Be interested in working in and fostering an inclusive work environment.
Application Deadline: May 13, 2017
Start Date: July 10, 2017
End Date: December 22, 2017