Recreation Planner (Watersmeet, MI)
This internship will provide exposure to the Forest Service, and the opportunity to gain skills in the planning and implementation of a recreation resource program including lands, recreation special uses, wilderness, developed sites, and dispersed recreation. The position will begin in early August, and continue full-time for 52 weeks.
Major duties will include, but not limited to:
- Administer recreation program including wilderness recreation, national recreation or historical trails, development of new sites, expansion or other modification of existing developed sites, special uses, etc.
- Plan and direct the care and policing, fee administration, maintenance, opening and closing, signing, and protection of public use sites.
- Prepare and administer recreation special use permits.
- Inspect permittees' operations to determine compliance with the terms of the permit. Takes corrective action directly with the permittee or, when necessary, recommends action to supervisor.
- Develop and implement plans and programs in natural resource management while considering visitor oriented attractions, parks, wilderness areas, and/or national recreation areas.
Desired knowledge, skills or abilities:
- Experience in management and supervision
- Knowledge of natural resources, biological science principles, landscape architecture, timber management, hydrology, soils, and wildlife
- Knowledge of land management policies and procedures
- Experience in budgeting, work planning processes, and computer information management systems
- In good physical condition for making field inspections for extended periods of time. Field work may require hiking, horseback riding, or skiing over steep, rough terrain, or in a boat on a lake.
Location: Ottawa National Forest (Watersmeet, MI)*
*Site housing available
Prior to starting this position, a government security background clearance will be required.